The links in this post may be affiliate links. This means I may receive a small commission if you buy through these links, at no additional cost to you, which helps me run this blog. Read my disclosure here.
The main thing people miss when switching to a keto diet is bread. I’ve tried lots of different keto bread recipes out there, and most disappoint. While this dough doesn’t make a traditional bread loaf, it’s my favorite for pizza, cheesy bread, foccacia, and more!
Keto Bread Dough
This keto bread dough is super versatile and can be used for more things than just listed here! That being said, these are my favorite ways to use it.
This type of dough is known as a “Fathead dough,” I believe because it originated from the documentary film, Fat Head. What makes it unique is that its base is made with melted mozzarella.
From there, different recipes diverge somewhat. Mine uses cream cheese, almond flour, baking powder, yeast (for flavor) and salt.
This was the first keto recipe I worked on developing because there was absolutely no way I was going to go through my life without pizza, even though I was dedicated to a ketogenic lifestyle.
This is the very best low carb pizza, in my opinion.
The next logical step for this dough was cheesy bread. This stuff tastes so much like the stuff you can get from that one restaurant that sells things both hot and ready. Only this stuff doesn’t give me a stomach ache.
This dough also works perfectly for this Bacon Cheeseburger Stromboli. We love this at our house and I always have to fight for leftovers.
It would be super easy to swap out whatever filling you like. Or turn it into calzones!
This foccacia bread is what my non-keto husband refers to as “the best bread” because it’s just that good.
We love to serve it with soups or salads, but you could also bake it in a square pan, cut into squares, and use for sandwiches!
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz. /170g) shredded mozzarella
- 2 Tbsp (1 oz/30g) cream cheese
- 3/4 cup (2.45 oz/70g) almond flour
- 2 tsp (10g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (4g) yeast (optional) or sub 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2 g) salt
- 1 large egg
- Melt mozzarella together with cream cheese in the microwave for 90 seconds, adding an additional 20-30 seconds as needed to melt completely (alternately, melt on the stove over low heat until completely melted.)
- Whisk together almond flour, baking powder, yeast, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients along with egg to the mozzarella mixture. Mix together with a heavy duty spoon or with your hands until it’s homogenous.
- Use for pizza, cheese bread, calzones, stromboli, foccacia, bagel dogs– or whatever you can think of!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 138Total Fat: 10.7gSaturated Fat: 3.6gSodium: 399mgCarbohydrates: 3.6gNet Carbohydrates: 2.5gFiber: 1.1gSugar: 1gProtein: 8.3g