There are a lot of different low carb bread options out there, most of which are not worth mentioning if I’m honest. But this low carb focaccia is one that my non-keto husband calls “the best bread” and I have to fight to keep any leftovers because my kids will devour it.
Low Carb Focaccia
You may recognize this dough as the same dough from my Low Carb Pizza, Cheesy Bread, and Bacon Cheeseburger Stromboli. It’s such a versatile recipe! But this one honestly might be my favorite way to make it.
If you’re not familiar, this is a “fathead” dough (I seriously don’t know where that name comes from) which is a mozzarella-based dough. It has a very bread-like consistency despite having no gluten or starches whatsoever.
You start by melting mozzarella with a bit of cream cheese. Then you mix in an egg, some almond flour, salt, baking powder and yeast. Not all fathead dough recipes call for yeast, but I find it really adds to the flavor of the bread. That being said, you can leave it out if you like.
Once the dough has come together, pour some olive oil over the top and press it into a well-greased pie plate. I like to use this avocado oil spray to grease it.
Lightly press indentations into the dough with your fingers.
I top this with roasted garlic, some chopped fresh rosemary, and melted butter. You can definitely just use olive oil, as that’s more traditional for foccacia, but I really like the combination of both.I like to buy pre-peeled garlic at Costco and roast it in a large batch in the oven. Then I keep it in the freezer for an easy addition to dishes any time.Roasting Garlic
This bakes up in just 15 minutes and will fill your home with the most amazing of smells. You’ll hardly be able to keep your hands off it long enough to cool a little.
I slice this in eight wedges and love to serve it with soup. Perfect for the cool weather that’s coming!
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz. /170g) shredded mozzarella
- 2 Tbsp (1 oz/30g) cream cheese
- 3/4 cup (2.45 oz/70g) almond flour
- 2 tsp (10g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (4g) yeast (optional) or sub 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2 g) salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves roasted garlic
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp fresh chopped rosemary
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C)
- Make crust: Melt mozzarella and cream cheese together until fully melted (about 90 seconds in the microwave.) Stir until combined.
- Whisk together almond flour, baking powder, yeast, and salt in a separate bowl. Add to melted cheese along with 1 egg. Mix well until dough is fully homogenous. Dough will be sticky.
- Transfer dough to a well-greased pie plate. Pour olive oil over the top and press evenly into plate. Lightly press indentations into the dough.
- Mash roasted garlic into a paste. Add melted butter and pour over the dough. Sprinkle with rosemary.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly, then slice and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181Total Fat: 15.3gSaturated Fat: 5.6gSodium: 400mgCarbohydrates: 4.2gNet Carbohydrates: 3.1gFiber: 1.1gSugar: 1gProtein: 8.5g