The links in this post may be affiliate links. This means I may receive a small commission if you buy through these links, at no additional cost to you, which helps me run this blog. Read my disclosure here.
For the most part on my keto journey, I’ve found and created new recipes that fall within the “low carb, high fat” designation. But lately I’ve been thinking more and more about which of our family’s favorites could be tweaked in a way that I can still enjoy. This one was incredibly easy! It tastes so much like the original and I don’t miss the carbs at all!
Cheesy Beef Skillet
The original recipe comes from my grandma’s recipes, and I’ve shared it before here. It has the amazingly creative name of “Savory Hamburger Hotdish.” It relies heavily on pasta and canned soup to create this homey dish, but I’ve been able to make it healthier while still keeping it pretty simple.
AND it cooks all in one skillet! No extra dishes today, friends. *does a happy dance*
The absolute hardest part of this recipe is chopping a few veggies. Cabbage stands in here for the pasta. I realize this sounds weird, but it works surprisingly well. Then we add mushrooms instead of canned mushroom soup. And onions, because yum.
After that, it’s so simple. Sauté the veggies for a couple minutes, add ground beef, and cook until browned through. Then we add tomato sauce, cream, and cheese to make the sauce.
One note: I have found whenever I recreate recipes that originally had canned soup, I need to add more salt to get the same flavor. So make sure you taste the meat mixture after adding the sauce ingredients and season it accordingly.
This dish is perfect in a good cast iron skillet, but you can use any skillet as long as it’s oven safe.
Top it all off with more cheese and pop it into a hot oven for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden.
Oh. My. Stars. Is there anything prettier than some golden brown cheese? All the heart eyes.
Ooey, gooey, melty cheese over saucy meat and veggies. It’s like my childhood in a skillet. Simple meals can be the most comforting sometimes. And now you don’t have to worry about indulging!
Cheesy Beef Skillet
Comfort food gone low carb!
- 1/2 head of cabbage, cut into thin strips (can also cut into smaller lengths)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 8 oz. (225g) mushrooms, diced
- 1 Tbsp avocado or coconut oil
- 1 lb (.45 kilo) ground beef
- 1 cup (240 mL) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 8 oz. (225g) cheddar cheese, divided
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add avocado oil. Once hot, sauté cabbage, mushrooms, and onion together for a few minutes until cabbage turns brighter green and onions begin to soften.
- Add ground beef and cook until beef is thoroughly browned.
- Add tomato sauce, heavy cream, garlic powder, and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 434Total Fat: 34.1gSaturated Fat: 15.6gSodium: 505mgCarbohydrates: 8.9gNet Carbohydrates: 6.7gFiber: 2.3gSugar: 4.6gProtein: 23.9g
I made this tonight! So yummy!
I made this last week for supper and had no complaints from anyone! SCORE! So much so, my 11 year old asked to have it again tonight 🙂
Thank you, Amber!!
Oh yay! I’m so glad!