These keto parmesan bread bites are the perfect party appetizer, snack, or side to go with pizza! They’re so simple to make, you can easily whip up a batch when the temptation to call your local pizza place arises!
Keto Parmesan Bites
I have to say, I used to have a bit of an obsession with Domino’s parmesan bites. Back when I ate carbs, whenever we’d order pizza from our local Domino’s, I always added an order of the parmesan bites and it was consistently a fight as to who got the last one.
While these aren’t an exact dupe, they hit all the main points. Warm, cheesy, salty and garlicky, they won’t disappoint.
They’re great for a snack, an appetizer, or just to eat alongside your favorite low carb pizza.
This uses the same dough as our Ham & Cheese Crescents. It’s similar to our other keto dough, but it’s a bit stiffer so it holds its shape better.
As a fathead dough, it has a base of melted mozzarella. Added to that is cream cheese, an egg, almond flour, golden flaxseed meal, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, and yeast (optional) for flavor.
After the dough comes together, we roll it into a long cylinder and cut the bites. I like to use a pizza cutter for this.
I go for roughly 1.5 inches as both the diameter of the cylinder and the length of the bites, but there’s no need to be super picky.
This dough is fairly sticky, but if you find it too sticky to handle, there are a couple of things you can do. First, let it cool a little. If it’s still quite warm, it’ll be stickier and harder to work with. Secondly, you can put a little bit of olive oil on your hands when you handle it.
Arrange all the bites on a parchment-lined baking sheet. I love these baking sheets— I’ve had them for years and they hold up well.
Bake them up until they’re golden brown, then we toss them with melted butter and a mixture of parmesan, garlic and onion powders, and dried parsley.
For the parmesan, you want to use a very finely grated one. I grated my own, as this will always get you the best flavor. But you can use pre-grated as well. Just be aware of the quality and the fact that pre-grated cheese always uses some fillers to keep it from caking.
Toss all that up together. The butter and parmesan will mix up and create the most delicious coating.
Honestly, I’m happy to eat these keto bread bites plain, straight from the bowl. But if you want to be fancy, they’re also good dipped in marinara.
On second thought, maybe I’ll just keep these in the kitchen instead of putting them out. If they don’t know about them, they can’t get mad, right?
- 6 oz (170g) shredded mozzarella
- 2 oz (55g) cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups (150g) almond flour
- 2 Tbsp golden flaxseed meal
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp yeast (optional)
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 4 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 cup (35g) finely grated parmesan
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- Marinara, for serving, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt together mozzarella and cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl for 90 seconds. Stir, microwave for another 30 seconds if necessary.
- Transfer melted cheese to the bowl of a food processor. Add egg and process well until fully incorporated.
- Add almond flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder, salt, yeast, and xanthan gum to the dough and process until it comes together. Scrape down the sides of the food processor to make sure all ingredients are incorporated.
- Turn dough out onto a large piece of parchment. If dough is very sticky, allow to cool slightly or use olive oil on your hands. Shape into a round, then cut into quarters.
- Take each quarter piece of dough and roll into a long cylinder about 1.5 inches in diameter. Slice off pieces about 1.5 inches thick. Place cut pieces on prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- While baking, mix together parmesan, garlic and onion powders, and dried parsley.
- After baking, toss bites with butter and parmesan mixture.
- Serve with marinara sauce, if desired.
Serving Size:6-8 bites
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282Total Fat: 24.3gSaturated Fat: 9gSodium: 611mgCarbohydrates: 6.5gNet Carbohydrates: 3.9gFiber: 2.6gSugar: 1.6gProtein: 12.6g