If you move in keto circles online, you’ve certainly heard of Starbucks’ Bacon Gruyere Sous Vide Egg Bites. They’re amazingly delicious and are an option with no bread involved! I happily ate them several times before deciding to look up the nutrition info. Guys, they have nine grams of carbs! What?!? I looked up the ingredients and found they have rice starch in them *cue sad trombone*. But you know I wasn’t just going to leave it there. Those things are delicious. So I figured out how to make them myself without any fancy kitchen equipment needed.
Bacon Gruyere Egg Bites
You might know that I already have a recipe for a Bacon Gruyere Egg Bake. It’s delicious and uncomplicated and great for breakfast, brunch, or dinner.
But I wanted something with a softer, fluffier texture, like the ones from Starbucks. So I adapted the recipe to be baked in muffin tins and added a water bath and these turned out so good.
I kept the recipe pretty similar, except I skipped the parsley and green onions. You can definitely add those if you like, but I wanted to make these resemble the Starbucks ones, so I left them out.
I also only mixed half the cheese in to the egg mixture, and then sprinkled the rest on top.
This recipe uses a whole 12 oz package of bacon. The Starbucks egg bites have large slices laid across the top, so if you like that, you can easily do that here. But I prefer smaller bits of bacon, so I chop mine smaller and mix it in to the eggs.
I also burned my bacon this time around because children are distracting and this is my real life.
A note about the muffin pan: I prefer a silicone pan for these, but it will work in a regular pan as well. It’s just considerably easier to get them out of a silicone pan.
After you assemble the egg bites, place them on a rimmed baking sheet. Set this on a rack in the oven, and carefully pour enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the muffin tin.
Bake this for about 30 minutes.
When they’re done, they’ll be puffed up and set completely. They won’t get too brown, but will be a little golden around the edges.
This is where having a silicone pan comes in handy. Give it a quick loosen around the edges with a knife and you can just pop the egg bites right out. Give it a few minutes to cool, though, or you’ll burn yourself nicely.
If you’re using a metal pan, you’ll need to use a knife to loosen the edges and very carefully try to pop it them out with the knife. It’s a bit more difficult, but can be done without too much trouble.
Look at these lovely, cheesy bites of deliciousness!
Did I mention you can freeze them? You totally can. Just reheat in the microwave at 50% power for 3-5 minutes, depending on how many you’re cooking.
Did I mention these only have 1.2 g of carbs per bite? And they’re totally bigger than the Starbucks ones, too. Take that, Starbucks!
(Haha. I’m kidding. We’re still cool, Starbucks, right? You know you’re my guilty pleasure while I’m walking around Target…)
- 12 oz (340g) bacon, cooked and chopped
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup (240 mL) sour cream
- 8 oz (225g) shredded gruyere
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Hot water
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and spray a 12 cavity muffin pan (preferably silicone) with cooking spray, being sure to cover the bottom of each cavity well. **Note: If your oven runs hot, or if you have a convection oven, turn the oven down about 25°F (10°C) for best results.**
- Whisk together eggs and sour cream until fully incorporated. Fold in the bacon, half the cheese, and the salt & pepper, and divide evenly into muffin tin. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Place muffin tin on a rimmed baking sheet. Place on a rack in the middle of the oven and carefully pour hot water into the baking sheet until it comes halfway up the sides of the muffin pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until eggs bites are completely set and barely golden around the edges.
These can be frozen and reheated at 50% power for 3-5 minutes depending on how many you're reheating and how hot your microwave runs.
Serving Size:1 bite
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 17.2gSaturated Fat: 8gSodium: 353mgCarbohydrates: 1.2gNet Carbohydrates: 1.2gFiber: 0gSugar: 0.9gProtein: 13.6g