Who says fancy food has to be hard? This shrimp scampi with asparagus cooks on a sheet pan in just five minutes! Incredibly easy, delicious, and full of great nutrition as well! Plus one serving has only 4.5 net carbs. Load up my plate, please!
Shrimp & Asparagus Scampi
You all know I’m all about fast and easy meals. And this is one of the fastest and easiest ones ever.
Shrimp and asparagus are a lovely pairing flavor-wise, but they’re perfect in this application because they both cook really quickly. That being said, thinner asparagus spears work best here. Unfortunately, my grocery store only had large ones this time around.
If you’re new to using asparagus, the best way to trim off any woodiness in the base of the stalks is to hold the bottom of the stalk and snap off the bottom. It will break off wherever the woodiness starts.
After that, cut into bite-sized chunks, 1-2 inches in length.
The scampi sauce is made with butter, lots of garlic and a little onion, white wine and lemon juice.
Because of how quickly the shrimp and asparagus cook, it’s necessary to cook the sauce in a pan quickly before adding it, or the garlic would still be raw. I know, it’s a bummer to have to get an extra dish dirty, but it still comes together really quickly without a lot of fuss.
This bakes on two sheet pans in order to cook properly. I use these pans and highly recommend them. Line them with parchment paper to keep cleanup easier.
These bake hot and fast, cooking at 425°F.
It took only five minutes of baking in my oven, but it’s very important to watch carefully as every oven is different and it’s very easy to overcook shrimp.
Once the shrimp has become fully opaque, it’s done. The asparagus should be tender but crisp.
You can serve it exactly as it is– just the shrimp and asparagus in its lovely garlicky wine sauce. In this case, it would make four light servings, or three heartier servings.
Alternatively, you can serve it over some shirataki or zucchini noodles if you like. We used these noodles.
This would make the perfect quick fancy dinner to make your significant other for a date night at home, but works equally well for just a Tuesday night!
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 2" chunks
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp minced onion
- 2 oz dry white wine
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C) and line two rimmed half-sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Melt butter, then add garlic and onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until they begin to become translucent.
- Add wine and allow to boil for 2 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and parsley.
- Add shrimp and asparagus to a large mixing bowl. Pour butter mixture over, season with salt & pepper, and stir well to coat.
- Spread shrimp and asparagus over prepared baking sheets in a single layer.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes, or just until shrimp is opaque.
- Serve as is, or over shirataki or zucchini noodles, garnished with extra parsley if desired.
Thinner stalks of asparagus work best for this recipe as their cooking time with more closely match the shrimp's.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 268Total Fat: 18.3gSaturated Fat: 11.3gSodium: 792mgCarbohydrates: 6.6gNet Carbohydrates: 4.5gFiber: 2.1gSugar: 2.4gProtein: 18.9g