The links in this post may be affiliate links. This means I may receive a small commission if you buy through these links, at no additional cost to you, which helps me run this blog. Read my disclosure here.
Around here we love burgers! But since going low carb, I find myself having to choose between a bunless burger or making my own buns. And sometimes I just want a different option. This Low Carb Cheeseburger Pie provides all the great flavor of a cheeseburger with minimal work and in a charming pie shape.
This recipe is adapted to be low carb from an old family recipe I shared on the blog way back when (check it out if you want a conventional recipe!)
The main difference between the two recipes is the crust. The original crust is a regular, carb-laden biscuit crust. So I made some swaps and ended up with a fantastic low carb biscuit crust that tastes so similar I don’t even notice.
Low Carb Biscuit Crust
This crust is an almond flour-based crust. I modified my favorite biscuit recipe and it works like a charm. You need almond flour, baking powder, salt, onion & garlic powder, an egg, sour cream, butter, and shredded cheddar. Yes, there’s cheddar in both the crust and the the topping. I consider this a bonus.
Because of the nature of low carb biscuit dough, it’s a little bit trickier to spread in the pie plate. Use a rubber sptaula and just be patient and gentle and you’ll be good.
You absolutely must grease the plate. I’ve tried with both butter and avocado oil spray. They both work, but I think the butter is a bit more effective. But you do you, boo.
The filling is sooo simple, you guys. Ground beef browned with onion, seasoned with Worcestershire Sauce and salt and pepper.
The original recipe called for a little bit of the dry biscuit mixture to be added to bind it. So instead I add a little xanthan gum, but I think you could leave it out if you like.
Pour the meat mixture into the unbaked crust and top with sliced tomatoes.
The tomatoes get topped with a mixture of beaten eggs and shredded cheese. Then it gets baked until the top and crust are golden.
Hello, gorgeous! 😍
I always have to fight for there to be leftovers. My family of four can easily devour a whole pan. I hope you enjoy as much as we do!
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) and grease a 9″ pie plate.
- Make the crust: In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, salt, baking powder, and garlic and onion powders. In a separate bowl, mix egg, sour cream, and melted butter. Stir wet ingredients into dry, then fold in cheese.
- Spread crust mixture into prepared pie plate evenly.
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet, brown ground beef with onions. Once meat is cooked through, add Worcestershire, xanthan gum, and salt & pepper. Pour into crust and spread evenly.
- Top with sliced tomatoes.
- Mix beaten eggs with shredded cheese and spread this mixture on top of the tomatoes.
- Bake 20-30 minutes or until golden. Allow to rest 10 minutes before slicing for best results.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 367Total Fat: 29.9gSaturated Fat: 11.2gSodium: 676mgCarbohydrates: 6gNet Carbohydrates: 4.1gFiber: 1.9gSugar: 2.4gProtein: 19.4g