The links in this post may be affiliate links. This means I may receive a small commission if you buy through these links, at no additional cost to you, which helps me run this blog. Read my disclosure here.
You guys know I love my Instant Pot. And the main reason I love it is because it’s so easy to make dishes like this one when I’m short on time and have absolutely no plan in place whatsoever. Which is basically always because that’s how I roll. This Instant Pot Shredded Chicken is a staple in our house because of how flipping easy and versatile it is.
I talked about this in my Nine Keto Dinners For When You Don’t Want to Cook post, and it’s basically the same technique as my Instant Pot Chicken Adobo, but I thought it was deserving of its own post because it’s just that awesome.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
Seriously, guys. SO FLIPPING EASY. Take your Instant Pot. Dump some frozen chicken in it. Add a little chicken broth, garlic, salt & pepper, and some fresh herbs if you like. That’s it.
As far as the chicken goes, you can use either chicken breasts or thighs. Just make sure they’re individually frozen pieces and not a giant block of chicken or it won’t cook up safely. And of course it should be boneless and skinless.
Then you just cook it on high pressure for 10 minutes and it’s done.
If you use fresh herbs, take them out first. I will say, while I like thyme with chicken, the small leaves fall off the rest of the sprig and are a little difficult to completely remove. So keep that in mind if you opt to use fresh herbs.
Remove the chicken with tongs and place in a bowl. Then use two forks to shred it up. Boom! Done!
After that, there are several directions you can take your Instant Pot Shredded Chicken. Add some mayo, dijon mustard, celery, and pecans for a chicken salad. Stuff it with some lettuce into low-carb pitas and you’ve got yourself an easy lunch.
You can also mix it in with my Bourbon Maple Barbecue Sauce and serve it with a simple slaw for dinner.
Or mix it with some taco seasoning and serve it with all the fixings for Taco Tuesday! Use it for chicken soup! Put it in quesadillas! Seriously, you can do a lot of things with this stuff. Plus it makes a good amount so you can use it for multiple meals depending on how many people you’re feeding.
So what are you waiting for??
Make it now!
Want more? Never miss a recipe! Subscribe to my newsletter today![mailerlite_form form_id=1]
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
The easiest shredded chicken ever cooks from frozen with only 10 minutes in the instant pot!
- 2.5 lbs (1 kilo) individually frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 cup (240 mL) chicken broth
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled
- salt & pepper
- fresh herbs as desired (try thyme, sage, or tarragon)
- Put all the ingredients in the Instant Pot. Use the Manual setting and set the timer to 10 minutes. Make sure the vent knob is set to “sealing.” The Instant Pot will come to pressure and then start counting down.
- After it finishes cooking, allow it to naturally depressurize for 5 minutes (more is fine) and then switch the vent knob to “venting,” protecting your hand from the hot steam, to manually release the remaining pressure.
- Remove herbs (if using) and discard. Remove chicken from the pot with tongs and place in a bowl. Use two forks to shred, then serve as desired. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 173Total Fat: 5.8gSaturated Fat: 1.6gSodium: 422mgCarbohydrates: 0.4gNet Carbohydrates: 0.3gFiber: 0.1gSugar: 0gProtein: 27.9g